Written by Pio Cabanillas (@Pragueira), General Director of Corporate Image and Global Marketing of ACCIONA
In ACCIONA we like challenges: how to transform the world around us in something better and more sustainable whilst we generating added value? We incorporate this in long term in our main lines of business: infrastructure (construction, water and services) and renewable energy. We want to explain this to you in these 5 points.
- We know that the greatest challenges are those that move the world. So we designed and built the first electrically powered car , based entirely on renewable sources, capable of competing in the Dakar Rally 2015, the toughest test for an engine in the world. If you want more information on this and other projects such as the zero emission sailing ship that participated in the Vendée Globe 2012 and in the expedition to the South Pole with ACCIONA Windpowered Antarctica, visit this section of our website.
- We believe that education is fundamental to transmit to the younger ones the principles of a sustainable development. More than 130,000 children from different countries have participated in our “Sustainability Workshop” program and our Corporate Volunteering.
- We spread “sustainability” through the website “Sustainability for Everyone” (sostenibilidad.com). With this initiative we pursue the unique objective of reaching the entire society. Therefore, we publish weekly articles of general interest to our subscribers and followers on social networks.
- Environmental protection and commitment to innovation. We avoided the emission of 16.3 million of TCO2 in the last year and we have avoided 28 times the CO2 generated in our production. In 2014 we spent 174.9 million euros to R + D + I.
- Do not take only our word. We have presence in major Sustainability indexes. According to the annual list ‘Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World 2014 “ACCIONA is the only Spanish company among the 100 most sustainable companies in the world and the 5th Social Media Sustainability Index index puts us among the ones that communicate best their sustainability practices in social networks.
Despite these five points, the challenge of building a better world is everyone’s responsibility, and we are just in time to change the future, as we remember on the occasion of Earth Day.
If you want to know more about what we do in ACCIONA, we await you on Monday April 27 at 15:00 in Room 2 and Sunday April 26 at our booth of Sustainable Sunday.